SA’s oldest clubs Battle for Points to close off Absa Premiership ‘Woza Nazo’ campaign
Two of the oldest clubs in domestic football, Bidvest Wits and AmaZulu, will lock horns in the final Absa Premiership Woza Nazo match that will also determine the 10th and last Kick For a Million finalist at the Bidvest Stadium Saturday, 28 April.
The fixture will see the culmination of Absa’s brand campaign, Woza Nazo, which was launched at the start of the 2017/18 Absa Premiership season to bring excitement all round through city rivalry, historic rivalry and David versus Goliath battles that took place around the country.
The campaign has seen fans show a healthy appetite for the rivalry fixtures as they owned the initiative by coming in their numbers to the stadium where the campaigned has had an incredible engagement through various off-the-field activities, such as the popular Absa Red Zone on match day where 8, 435 fans were hosted from September 2017 to date.
The hosts for this fixture, Wits, who have rediscovered winning form in recent months will be seeking revenge following their 3-0 humiliation away at AmaZulu last September, in a match which both clubs require maximum points to secure a Top 8 finish at the end of the season next month.
The two clubs may both have a rich history in South African football, but the 2017/18 Absa Premiership campaign has been a huge challenge, with both sides having often stuck mid-table on the standings for most of the season. With only two matches to go until the end of the season, each game has become an intense Battle for Points as both clubs seek to end the season in a respectable position.
While the action at the Bidvest stadium is bound to produce fireworks, the passionate supporters on the stands will be equally entertained as the Woza Nazo campaign reaches its final stage this season. Fans that will receive tickets during an activation at Wits University (Thursday 26 April at the Library Lawns), will also get an Absa Premiership Woza Nazo hamper including a t-shirt, cap, hat and seat cushion and a snack pack to enjoy during the game.
Banie Claasen, the Absa Regional Managing Executive for Gauteng South said: “The rivalry in the Absa Premiership this season has really made the game better. Our Woza Nazo campaign has seen an impressive 100% increase in fan attendance which has been evident in matches such as the Tshwane, Cape Town and Free State Derbies and the two David v Goliath clashes between Chippa United and Mamelodi Sundowns and Platinum Stars and Orlando Pirates, which means our local football fans have bought into our unique campaign that comprises of crosstown and historic rivalries and local derbies.
“It is great to close off the campaign this season with the fixture between The Students and Usuthu with a rich history in SA football. It is the kind of game that will no doubt continue to keep the rivalry alive and provide the supporters with some thrilling action, too. We once again appeal to all soccer fans and students around Johannesburg and surrounding areas to come and experience the beautiful game with us and also stand a last chance to Kick for a Million rands as this fixture provides the final opportunity to get our 10th and last finalist for the Kick For a Million finale to take place on the last day of the season.”
Kick for a Million
- On match day, fans attending the Wits v AmaZulu match will stand a chance to compete for the Absa Kick for a Million match day cash prize of R5, 000 and thus become the last finalist of the season
- Ahead of kickoff, six fans will be chosen and brought onto the pitch at halftime to kick against former professional goalkeeper, Emile Baron, in a sudden death competition until there is only one winner
- Each participant will receive a R1, 000 cash prize and the winner of the round on the day will take home R 5, 000. The winner will then automatically become one of the 10 finalists who will Kick for a Million at the Absa Premiership trophy handover match on the 12th May 2018
- The ten successful winners from the ten rivalry matches will travel to the Absa Premiership trophy handover match where they get to Kick for a Million against a goalkeeping legend until there is only one winner, who will take home R1 million
Absa Premiership activation to take place in Johannesburg leading up to the Woza Nazo rivarly fixture:
- Thursday, 26 April: Wits University, Library Lawns on East Campus, 12pm – 2pm