Call for Cape Town International Dance Festival
The deadline for proposals for participation in the 2nd Cape Town International Dance Festival, is 31 August 2016. Dancers, choreographers and dance companies interested in participating in this prestigious event are now invited to apply for inclusion on the 4-day international programme. The 2016 CTIDF is organised by iKapa Dance Theatre and will take place at venues in Cape Town and Gugulethu from Thursday 1 to Sunday 4 December 2016.
The festival was launched last year with the aim to inspire exchange and to further dialogue between different dance forms, and dance forms from diverse cultural spaces. Artists and companies from five countries, Finland, Spain, China, the United States and South Africa, participated in more than 10 performances, on indoor and outdoor stages from the City centre to Gugulethu township.
The carefully curated dance programme was complemented by a series of workshops, film screenings, photo and art exhibitions, as well as a creative and cultural encounter in both Town and Township.
The 2016 festival will run from Thursday 1 to Sunday 4 December 2016 and follow a similar format. Visiting companies will be invited to conduct collaborative workshops and participate in master classes in the week preceding.
Dancers, choreographers or groups interested in participating are invited to apply by sending the information listed below to email@example.com by 31 August 2016. New and existing work will be considered and candidates will be selected based on artistic merit. Successful applicants will be notified by 9 September.
Applicants should have a minimum of three years’ experience, as a professional or non-professional artist, choreographer or group; artists or groups selected will be required to sign a participation contract.
Your application should include:
- A biography, including contact details, in word/pdf format;
- A selection of three images representing the artist, group or work;
- A proposal for a work/performance piece between 5 and 15 minutes, or one between 20 and 45 minutes, or a full evening performance;
- A proposal should identify the dance form presented, eg. contemporary, classical, traditional, hip-hop etc. and provide a description of the concept and theme/s of the work; and
- A hyperlink to a video clip of the work/performance piece you intend to perform.
For the period 1 to 4 December, festival participants will have access to the following:
- Performance venues in Cape Town and Gugulethu;
- Rehearsal space (from 28 November);
- Technical, lighting, sound and stage support (from 28 November);
- Transport to and from rehearsal spaces and venues; and
- Complimentary tickets to other festival performances, at the discretion of the organisers.
The Festival is looking forward to receiving your application and to welcome you the 2nd Cape Town International Dance Festival. Please direct any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 076 480 0643.